Remote Access — Configure a PLC or machine remotely
HMS Netbiter is a remote access service which opens up a secure tunnel to a PLC or machine. Using your regular PLC configuration software just as you would if you were on site, this enables configuration, programming or debugging of any industrial device from any location.
INCLUDED SERVICE WITH EC300-SERIES GATEWAYS
Remote Access is an included Netbiter Service with the EasyConnect EC300 communication gateways. It allows one user to connect to one machine.
The service supports data limits up to 1GB per month and is set up through the cloud-based Netbiter Argos data center, maintained and hosted by HMS.
The Remote Access Service can also be combined with View and Control and Manage and Analyze Services as long as an EC300-series gateway is used.
ET UP AND RUNNING IN LESS THAN 10 MINUTES!
Once you have connected a HMS Netbiter EC300-series gateway to your device, you will set up remote access to your device in a matter of minutes.
It is an ideal solution for system integrators and machine builders who require immediate access to field equipment in order to minimize equipment downtime and reduce on-site maintenance and travel costs.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF REMOTE ACCESS
- Fast, secure and easy-to-use cloud-based solution for System Integrators and Machine Builders to remotely access industrial equipment anytime, anywhere
- Enables remote programming or debugging of industrial PLCs using standard configuration software (such as RSlogix, TIA Portal, GX Developer etc), just as if connected to the PLC/machine on site
- Access equipment 24/7 using any of the Netbiter EC300 series communication gateways and the cloud-based Netbiter Argos™ data center
- Machines / PLCs connect via Serial RS232/485, Ethernet WAN or LAN Data communication
- The Netbiter gateway sends and receives data via Ethernet or cellular 3G networks
- Creates an encrypted data tunnel to the remote equipment. Netbiter uses a unique 2-step indetification method for login access to your devices
- Uses Netbiter Argos as an intelligent routing portal. This means that you don’t need an IP-address for the Netbiter gateway, nor do you need a fixed IP SIM card.
- Included feature when purchasing a Netbiter EC300 series commuication gateway. Free of charge for data usage up to 1GB per month. Subscription-based for higher data usage.
- Fast deployment and a scalable solution, more functionality can be added if needed.
- For 3G cellular communication no fixed IP SIM cards are required. Use your local supplier!
HOW IT WORKS
HMS Netbiter Remote Access provides a remote connection through Netbiter Argos to the serial and Ethernet ports on a Netbiter EC300 series gateway. This makes it possible to use PC-based software applications (such as RSLogix or TIA Portal) to program, configure or debug just as if being on site.
To establish the remote connection, the PC-based driver Netbiter QuickConnect is installed on the PC. This creates a secure tunnel through Netbiter Argos to the Netbiter gateway and also establishes a virtual connection to the software application on the PC.
The tunnel established between the laptop and the remote network can be used to create one or more channels for the actual connections to the remote devices.
THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF CHANNELS ARE SUPPORTED:
- Network bridge
This enables a remote connection to the network on the Ethernet LAN port of the Netbiter gateway and allows remote access to any device on that network.
- TCP/UDP port forwarding
A channel can be mapped to a specific remote IP-address and specific port for TCP and UDP messaging. Limiting access to specific ports and IP-addresses is often an advantage from a security perspective, which is why this method should always be preferred to Network bridge whenever possible.
- Virtual Serial
Provides a virtual COM port that is mapped to the RS-232 or RS-485 port on the Netbiter gateway.
The data that is transmitted between your local PC and the machine on site is encrypted and transmitted through a secure channel.
The channel is opened with a double authentication procedure: A secure, password-protected login into the Argos server and an SMS-based verification method.
INTELLIGENT ROUTING – NO FIXED IPS NEEDED
The HMS Netbiter Argos acts as an intelligent routing portal offloading the user from having to know the IP-Address of the remote Netbiter gateway. Moreover, the Netbiter gateways provide hardware interfaces to secure the remote access on site with a keylock and LED indicator. Even users without specific IT knowledge can use the system successfully and securely.
What you can do: PLC programming, configuration, debugging and software upgrades
HMS is continually verifying the remote access feature with different device types from all manufacturers. Remote Access is vendor-independent and enables machine builders to deliver to any market irrespective of the PLC brand used.
Give us a call if you would like a quotation.